Of course organic clothing is important, but lets go down the rabbit hole of other natural baby products that will keep your nursery free of toxins.
1. Mattress: Mattresses are the worst of chemical offenders in our rooms and our kid's rooms-- after all we spend a good deal of our lives asleep! Some say that is the most important thing to buy organic, to avoid VOCs, flame retardants, and a litteny of toxic chemicals. We went with Naturepedic, but there are definitely lots of options out there these days.
2. Crib/ Changing Table: The best bet here is to go with something solid wood that has a non toxic water based no VOC finish. We went with Stokke for our crib this round and we are thrilled. Best of all it concerts to a toddler bed when she is ready!! We also bought a changing table from Oeuf that doubles as a dresser.
3. Mattress Pad: I feel like this one is hard because most pads are made from really gross waterproof materials-- PVC is probably the last thing I wanted close to my babies. As it turns out, the Naturepedic mattresses we choose has a nontoxic water proof coating. If you go with a mattress that needs some protection, they also sell waterproof mattress covers that are PVC, latex, and flame retardant free.
4. Bassinet: So this one is definitely not essential, but nice to have around in the beginning. We bought ours from Design Dua and I cant say enough nice things about their products. We still use it for storage in the baby's room even though she is sadly too big for it now. Not only is this company fair trade, but they use super high quality materials that are safe for babe.
5. Rug: So for this one we jumped on the washable rug bandwagon and bought a Lorena Canals Rug. Great decision. It is made from 100% cotton and nontoxic dyes-- and is the easiest thing in the world to clean.
6. Mobile: This is one of our favorite things in the nursery. A wool hand felted mobile from Petit Felts. It comes from a local artisan, but can be custom ordered. I would suggest checking out her etsy account-- she has the cutest mobiles I have ever seen. Major bonus-- they are made from wood, wool, and cotton.
7. Sheets and Swaddles: I absolutely love the organic cotton muslin swaddles by Little Unicorn. They large and super versatile. Long gone are the days that organic means boring and cream colored-- you have endless options when it comes to organic sheets. We went with this adorable crib sheet from Rylee and Cru-- major plus, it's now on sale!
1. Design Dua. Billa Bassinet // 2. Petit Felt- Bunny Mobile // 3. Rylee and Cru, Organic Crib Sheet // 4. Stokke Home Crib //5. Lorena Canal Naador Rug